Search This Blog

Monday 18 October 2010

Information Fatigue? Not me!

In an unusual move today, I decided to renew my library books online before they became overdue. For once, I had time in hand so I decided to have a browse around the Wirral Libraries website and it was really rewarding.
Did you know just how much information is available to you online, simply for being a borrower at most UK libraries? Now that I have registered for free I can access:
The Heinemann World Book
19th Century Newspapers
OED online
Oxford Art Online
Oxford Music Online
Oxford Dictionary of National Blogs
Oxford Reference Online
Encyclopaedia Brittanica
and the voracious reader's friend "Who else writes like?"

OED online has a marvellous function for the dictionary lover - a button that selects a random word for you. I simply couldn't resist, and which entry appeared when I pressed the button, already drunk with pleasure at all the information at my fingertips?  "Information fatigue, n. Apathy, indifference, or mental exhaustion arising from exposure to too much information, esp. (in later use) stress induced by the attempt to assimilate excessive amounts of information from the media, the Internet, or at work. "
How appropriate, but certainly not something that I am suffering from right now.

If you don't already use your local library, and I think you should, it is worth registering as a borrower just to access these marvellous online resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment